- One pound 1/2-inch-cubed skinless firm white fish such as red snapper, bay scallops, or shrimp
- One cup of bottled lime juice or juice from 8 large limes
- 3/4 cup 3/4-inch-diced plum tomato such as Roma
- One teaspoon finely chopped serrano chile or two teaspoons finely chopped jalapeño
- One teaspoon of sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
Step 1: Place fish in a medium-size nonreactive bowl. Add lime juice; gently fold to combine, making sure fish is covered with liquid. Cover and chill until the fish is opaque and firm, at least 30 minutes.
Step 2: Drain and discard liquid. Add tomato, chile, onion, and salt. Fold to combine. Sprinkle with cilantro and, if desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.